Thursday, November 27, 2014

30Daydev: Day 5 - Why I'm shifting to learning C# coding On #Unity3D instead of #Playmaker for 2D games

I often said that I'm very bad with code, but I started to learn C# for Unity3D, OMG! Right? Lol I think I'll survive :) So why did I shift to C# now? I'll explain a bit, but just before, quick intro situation.

The day before yesterday, I was able to finish one first 2D Playmaker tutorial made by Romi.
It was basically just going left and right, jumping, and controlling respective animations.
T'was cool and everything, but too basic for my needs, I need more flexibility with controlling animations. And it may be more related to using Unity3D than just Playmaker.

For example the "unofficial" 2D Playmaker tutorial for a platformer character used a very basic way of animating a jump. And from having created relatively advanced animations before (multiple sprite parts pinned to one single box sprite at different points, in a modular form, frame by frame,) I need to learn how to use my same methods again, and Unity3D seems to have what it takes for that and probably more. Which is why i'm taking a pause from Playmaker, and will follow C# tuts which offer a lot more techniques variety for my current level.

In any case, the introductory video about Playmaker already warns you: Playmaker videos won't teach programming logic for Unity, but just how to use Playmaker to actually apply the programming parts in FSMs instead of direct code. Fair enough, no one can do everything at once right?

I asked if there were any more up to date tutorials for 2D platformers with Playmaker on the community Skype group, and I've been told that someone was working on newer tutorials that take the newer Unity 2D tutorials and examples of the Unity asset store for platformers and apply them with Playmaker. I hope they were already available but I'll just have to be patient for those to be available.

I also saw some commercial courses for Playmaker for 2D, but they still look too basic for my needs.

Conclusion: I'm shifting to C#! It will allow me to learn different ways, Playmaker already helped me to have an idea of Unity programming logic, and I may use it again once I learn more techniques with C#. Besides, I've always planned to to learn C#, so as I like to mention, there no better time than now, and no better place to start than on a Unity video game project, or so I hope!

Oh, and another thing that encouraged me to shift at last to C#: I remembered that many programming languages allow infinite amounts of comments within the code, without ever affecting performances or anything at all related to how the program will be executed! That means I could add a lot of descriptions to each single line, explaining and reminding myself why i'm using it and how it works/what it is used for, perfection eh? I think it can't get better than that. I can't do that with Playmaker, I use an external document for taking notes, I use that one too for C#, except that now with C" I can split the notes between the main text document for methods, and deeper details right on the  C# script code sheet, it's working out perfectly so far, I wonder at which point I'll feel good about shifting back to Playmaker, or not, I'll see! :)

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment